Deep excision surgery #2

September 27, 2012 was my second excision surgery.  I was looking forward to even better results from this one.

It was a very strange experience.  We went to the same hotel as last time.  It rained all day. We went to IHOP before I had to do the prep, just like last time.  I love IHOP and I go whenever I can.  It’s probably a very good thing there isn’t one near our house.

So we got back to the hotel room and I had to begin the prep.  Prep is the bowel cleanser, in case you didn’t know.  I used Go-Lytely.  It’s a gallon jug, with powder on the bottom. You add a gallon of water in there and shake well.  Well, apparently, you shouldn’t use cold water, because it just clumped up! We shook and shook to get it to dissolve more.  It just took a really long time to work. But eventually it did. At least it was cold, it goes down a lot easier when it’s cold.  It’s like drinking salt water.

When we got to the hospital, in the rain, my parents weren’t there yet.  That was a strange feeling.  We went up to the waiting area and checked in.  Almost immediately a nurse got me and we went down the hall to be weighed.  Yikes, I gained ten pounds since the last surgery.   I had been dealing with severe bloating since the last surgery.  One day, my pants would fit, the next, not.  I had to buy fat day pants.  Just one year before I was wearing a 4/6.  Sadly, it only gets worse, I haven’t lost any weight either.  Then I was brought into my pre-op room.  The hallway was eerily deserted.  Kind of reminded me of  the Jack Nicholson movie,”The Shining.”  OK, it wasn’t really that bad, but it was uncanny.  The nurse asked me the usual questions and gave me my gown to change into and placed my IV catheter and then went to get my husband.  By then my folks got there.  We got to chat a little and then they took me in the back.

In the back, there is a darkened area for the patients, a bathroom and a room with a glass wall for the doctors to check their charts, sit down, make calls and I guess watch us.  It’s right next to the OR.  I was wheeled in the gurney, next to a man that was there already.  He was then asked questions by his anesthesiologist and then he went for his colonoscopy (only a thin curtain separated us).  I was stillk there when he came back out! During his procedure, I met my anesthesiologist.

I remember this like it was this morning, not 5 months ago.  I saw a man in scrubs and a surgical cap, come to the foot of my gurney and turn on the computer.  He started typing away.  After a few minutes (of me staring at him) he finally introduced himself.   His handshake was weak.  Almost immediately a chill came over me.  I wanted to run, I should have.  I told him about my allergies, sensitivities, bad experiences with anesthesia and that the last surgery done there was awesome.  I had no problems at all.  I even told him it was my 9th time having anesthesia in 3 years. He totally ignored everything I said. I begged him to just do exactly what the last anesthesiologist did (I knew it was in the computer) he said sure, but he’ll “tweak it a little”, as he walked away. I yelled after him not to do anything different. He didn’t listen.  I started to cry and couldn’t stop (another hint that I should have called it off). The nurse came over with tissues, I told her what happened and how wonderful my last surgery was and deep down I knew it wasnt’going to be anything like that!

We got into the OR, he gave me something in my IV before even getting to the table.  That made me feel sick and hot and then he put something else in there that felt like it was burning up my arm, where the IV was. A nurse held my right hand because at this point I was almost inconsolable ( I pleaded with her to make sure he didn’t kill me).  My surgeon rubbed my left arm for me.  Now, why would my surgeon have to do that?  I heard someone ask if he gave the Versed, which is the pre-anesthetic that usually knocks me completely out and he said yes.  I don’t believe he ever gave that to me.  The last thing I remember was the gas mask coming at me forcefully!

I woke up feeling like I was somewhere else, in a different world.  Like an alternate universe.  I know, I’ve watched too many movies.  The surgery was 6 hours long.  I never saw the recovery room this time, there was no Vaseline for my lips.  I was in my room when I woke up, my husband and my parents were there.  I just wanted to go back under anesthesia and wake up with a different outcome.  I was as sick as a dog and painful. The nurse had to give me a shot to help with the nausea.  The food came and I couldn’t eat.  The anesthesiologist came back to my room that night to see if I was ok. I just shook my head and pointed to the door. I couldn’t look at him. All he had to do was follow directions. After 9 other surgeries in my life, 8 within the last 3 years, he still didn’t think I knew what I was talking about.

If you ever have surgery and do not like your anesthesiologist, for whatever reason.  Ask for someone else or reschedule your surgery.  It’s been 5 months and I am just getting back to normal, just in time for the next surgery.


About our last embryo

I have Endometriosis, Adenomyosis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I've had Lyme, Bell's Palsy and the Shingles before I was 25. I've done IVF twice, with and without immunosuppression and FET. I am married to my best friend and I am Infertile.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s