New OBGYN’s office visit today

Today, I went to a new OBGYN office and saw the PA.  She happens to be the OBGYN’s sister.  The practice was founded by their father in the 1950’s and the building they’re in now even has their name and 1960 on it! They are 4th generation in the family to be in practice for Women’s health.  I loved her.  I felt comfortable and a little amazed by their office.  Here’s what I’m used to… Old gyno, walk in and sit in small waiting room for at least a half hour to hour, get called in and put in an exam room that has looked the same since 1991, maybe the nurse would take my weight and then she would take my blood pressure and ask some questions.  Then I would be told to undress and put on the paper dress and then wait in the freezing exam room staring at the metallic paper towel dispenser (now, I am glad for the iPhone to keep me company). Then there’d be a quick exam, he’d ask about my dogs, make a joke or two and off I went.  In fact I can’t rememeber the last time I had a breast exam.  I was there every 3 months for most of a year, then every 6 months for a year and now it was a year later and time for a change.  Besides he cut me open, when I have been told by at least 3 surgeons that that wasn’t necessary. 19 years I went there!

This office, walk into this large building (they could use a sign to point you in the right direction) go up a few steps into a large waiting area, no terrible music, a comfortable room temperature, with a TV on.  I waited about 15 minutes and was called in.  Unfortunately for me I was walked right to that evil scale and it lied, then I sat in the nurses area, asked about my history and had my blood pressure taken, it was 83/53 or something really low ( I felt fine and no one was concerned, it’s usually higher because of the stress of driving there and waiting for a long time (every doctor I have is at least an hour from my house).  Maybe I’ll check my BP again tomorrow at CVS.  Anyway, They walked me to the exam room, told me to get undressed and to put on the paper dress, go in the bathroom and pee in a cup ( naturally after my hour drive, I went when I got there).  I somehow was able to give a little more.  Then I came out of my private bathroom and sat on the exam table.  Holy cow!  There’s a TV on the wall just for me!!!  I made the appointment for an annual Pap Smear, so I got the PA. I didn’t care, she was awesome.  She came in after reading my history I provided and sort of apologized that her brother was in surgery today, but I didn’t mind.  I explained a few things to her about my cervical dysplasia history, endometriosis and the infertility.   She told me that her brother was proficient in the Da Vinci robot and does plenty of surgeries for endo…why wasn’t I told about him before?  He’s IN my network!  The exam was quite good, you know, we all dread going for exams, but this one was probably one of the most pleasant ones ever. She spent a lot of time with me and made it personal.  We even talked dogs, her brother (the OBGYN) owns a brown standard poodle, yes, I love him and haven’t even met him.  She gave me a hug and said she hopes to see me there in a few months, pregnant.

I was back in my car in an hour and headed back out east. I forgot to ask when my results will be back and if they call or send a letter.  Yes, I’ve been to an office where they mailed me a letter to tell me my Pap came back abnormal (yup with a history of cervical dysplasia) and to come back in 6 months, I immediately ran to get a copy of my records and a colposcopy elsewhere!  I guess I’ll call tomorrow and ask about that and my BP.
That’s how I spent my day off, driving back and forth.  I left my house at 8am, drove to an old co-workers house to bring her some of her personal items she left at work (she retired) and we had a nice little visit, I missed her.  After that I went to my parents house to let my two poodles run with the two older poodles and groom my friends mini poodle.  Then shower and get on the road to the OBGYN. While driving back to my parents house to pick up the dogs, a friend called to chat on her way home from work (she recently had a miscarriage), we talked for almost two hours.  Then I had to stop at the grocery store for dinner and drove another 25 minutes to get home ( I called another friend on the way who called me when I was on the phone earlier).  I got home and while I was making dinner, I realized that my real job is to help people.  I do hope this blog helps someone. 

I just realized tomorrow, it will be 6 weeks since my surgery.  Wow, it seems like it’s been longer than that.  I’m feeling great and looking forward to next month.  Of course, I’m really concerned about the injections and pills I have to take, but if it helps us have our own little miracle, I will do it! 


About our last embryo

I have Endometriosis, Adenomyosis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I've had Lyme, Bell's Palsy and the Shingles before I was 25. I've done IVF twice, with and without immunosuppression and FET. I am married to my best friend and I am Infertile.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s