Road trip with our embryo

I set my alarm to 5:50am, because I didn’t want to wake up at 5:45, psychologically it makes me think I got more sleep. I still hit the snooze button.
Got up and then I was in a small panic about what to wear. We’ll be sitting in the car most of the day, so jeans aren’t really an option. Since I’ve had so many surgeries, I can’t stand anything tight on my belly or near my belly button. So I decided on the jeans leggings and a nice teal T-shirt and black sweater. Then I realized it was almost 6:15! Our plans were to leave at 6:30 or 6:45 to drop the dogs off at my parents house on the way to the next county. I ran into the shower, purposely didn’t use conditioner so I could dry my thick hair quickly, flat ironed it and put on a little makeup and was ready and in the car by 6:44am! Not bad, if I do say so myself.
We dropped off the dogs, picked up breakfast at the deli and headed for the highway. It was humorous to us at first, that we will be moving our potential child from one freezer to another, but it’ll be worth it. Then our ties with the RE who wouldn’t address my immune issues will be completely severed. Most people give three strikes before stopping, that RE was only getting the two they got.
We had a couple of little slow-downs on the LIE (long Island expressway) due to “rubbernecking,” where everyone slows down and causes traffic to look at a car that’s been pulled over or a fender bender. Drives me and my husband crazy!!!
What was really driving me crazy is my navigation wasn’t working on my iPhone. Mapquest not working! So, I google the address, we hadn’t been there in over a year and forgot how to get there. Not a good time for it to crap out! We take some weird way to get to that lab. Of course this one requires us to go to a parking garage to even get into the building. We get to the parking garage and then go around and around to get to the 5th level and then search for a parking spot.
We finally rush into the lab to get our precious cargo and we wait for a half hour. The embryologist (I think) came out with this tank and paperwork. Now, my husband thought that it would be small enough to fit in a backpack (I definitely don’t want to be walking around NYC with a backpack and an tank sticking out of it, especially with the recent terror in Boston). Then we show our ID’s and sign out our little embryo in a big tank out of their care. Then she tells us to seatbelt it in place, because, “if it tips, roll down the windows and get out of the car, then give us a call.” Yikes!
I get into the passenger side front seat and put the seat back so I have more leg room and my husband places the tank on the floor between my legs (no comments please!) and I then move the seat back up so its snug. Now, I’m squeezing this tank, with my legs and feet, and holding on for dear life!
Now, as I already mention, Mapquest was not cooperative, but it did seem to work for a moment to get us north to get back up to the LIE, but that’s all she did. For some reason the navigator thought going up to the George Washington Bridge would be a good idea. Um, no way in hell would I go that way! We got onto the LIE and turned that off. I will be sending an email to mapquest later. We should be in the tunnel in 10 minutes. While driving we had to stop short a few times and I grabbed the handle on the tank. Even my hubby said my mothering instincts were coming out. Who knows, it may be the closest we get, to taking care of our “child.” Even though, as hubby put it, it is “just a bunch of cells in liquid nitrogen” in a tank that he thinks looks like an old fashioned milk tank (see below).
Of course we hit more traffic. Road work everywhere. It took us about 45 minutes to get to the lab in NYC.
There was actually a parking spot right in front of the building (metered).
My husband got out and hit their buzzer. It looked as if the door wasn’t opening when they buzzed it. One of the lab folks came down and opened the door. He picked up the “package” and I got out and took it up to the office. It is not light when you’re walking up a flight of stairs. I went into the office and just said, “I have an embryo.” I handed them the paperwork and they opened the tank right in front of me to check the numbers and off she went to put out frozen embryo into their tank. While she did that I went to the bathroom and took a peek into their recovery room. Looks like your typical recovery room. I told the girls there that I was starting my cycle in a few weeks and how I had to ride with this tank in between my legs the whole way. One of them did tell me not to let it spill on me because it will burn my skin. Ok thanks! I filled out their paperwork and I was done. So fast!
Hubby had paid for an hour on the parking meter, our texts passed each other. Mine came a minute after he already put money in. Oh well. We put the tank back in the car and covered it up with my coat. (I needed the coat leaving the east end of Long Island at 6:45 and by the time we got to the city it was in the mid 60’s. It’s a gorgeous day.
We also had to go back to the other lab, to bring their tank back! Oh boy, here we go again. I hit the Mapquest app and plugged in the address again and it worked. Once we got on the LIE again and I turned on the navigation and I guess coming from the west is a lot easier because it worked!!! We got there quickly and safely.
Time for food, IHOP it is. While we waited for our food, I filled out the FMLA forms.
We, then, drove to the reproductive immunologist’s office to see if he’d sign the forms. I had to explain everything to the receptionist and insurance person and before I was done, he had signed the forms and we were off again by 1:45pm. I sent a thank you email to the doctor when I got into the car, that’s when I realized that we start the IVF cycle in 2 weeks!!!! OMG!!!!!!!
We are exhausted. We have to go pick up the dogs from my parents house, hubby needs to pick up some supplies for work and we need food for dinner. Oh wait, Kay Jewelers just called to say my ring is ready, that will have to wait for tomorrow.
I hope to take a little nap and then vacuum and do laundry. I’m sure by the time we actually get home, it will be time to make dinner. Long day! Work tomorrow!
Old milk tank

Our last embryo




About our last embryo

I have Endometriosis, Adenomyosis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I've had Lyme, Bell's Palsy and the Shingles before I was 25. I've done IVF twice, with and without immunosuppression and FET. I am married to my best friend and I am Infertile.
This entry was posted in adenomyosis, anxiety, embryos, hope and love, infertility, infertility in the workplace, invisible illness, reproductive immunology and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Road trip with our embryo

  1. Steph Mignon says:

    Wow how crazy that must be to carry your embryo around! And nerve wrecking too.

    • Yup. It sure was. Lol. Now my body hurts from being so tense. My arms hurt from carrying it slowly up the stairs and hanging on for dear life so I didn’t drop it down the stairs. FedEx may have been easier! Ha!

  2. katherinea12 says:

    Sounds like you did great, I would have been a complete nervous wreck! Glad it sounds like the transport went well.

  3. Miss Unbelizable says:

    That must have been so nerve wracking carrying your last embryo I and from the places. I have you in my thoughts and wish you all the best in the world, I can really picture you in the car seat constantly keeping a check on the tank to make sure it’s not moved. Xx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s