One or two?

Today was a rough day, mentally. Every time I got a red 1 next to my inbox on my iPhone, my heart skipped a beat. My reproductive immunologist said he’d email me to let me know how they did overnight and today.
Yesterday, the embryologist explained (and so did the RE that did the retrieval) that there were only two eggs and that was rare, not the worst they’d seen, but out of 8 follicles, 2 wasn’t good. My other follicles were empty. The eggs they did get, one from each ovary, would be watched closely.
I immediately emailed my doctor at 10am to let him know there were only 2 and he had said we’d put them in on day 2. Then by 4pm, only one of the eggs reached M2, maturity, and the other was M1, immature. We would have to wait and see if it caught up to the M2. I didn’t think that was possible. I have been upset all day. I tried very hard not to think about it. After my doctor emailed me this new finding, he decided we’d wait and see, fertilize the one and hope the other catches up. New plan-wait til blast! Wait until day 5? What if’s started popping all over my mind and emails. He explained that if one is fertilized a day earlier, we can’t put them in at different stages (at least that’s how I understood it), so it’s best to wait until they’re both at the blast stage.
I feverishly started Googling, day 2 transfers and if they were successful, different stages of oocytes(eggs) and meiosis and if M1’s turn into M2’s and go on to become babies. Drove myself nuts (I’m good at that). What I found was from Dr. Sher, he explained that if the eggs were triggered too early, they can mature in the lab and if they’re too late, it won’t happen. Of course I read this when I got home today.
After not hearing anything all day, I went to my acupuncture appointment, just completely confused. I told my acupuncturist everything and she was almost as stressed as I was by the time I got done explaining it all. We concentrated on blood flow to the uterus. I scheduled another appointment for Friday. So, either way if there’s a day 3 or a day 5, I’ve got another appointment set up for this week.
I got out of my appointment around 5:30 this evening and there it was, the email we were waiting for. He wrote,”We have 2 fertilizations today, one is a little behind the other so I want to stay with the day 5 plan for now. Good Luck.” Wow! I called my hubby immediately and told him. I also told him that it seemed rare that an immature egg would mature, that it probably wasn’t normal and then he said, “since when do we ever do things normally?” I love him!


About our last embryo

I have Endometriosis, Adenomyosis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I've had Lyme, Bell's Palsy and the Shingles before I was 25. I've done IVF twice, with and without immunosuppression and FET. I am married to my best friend and I am Infertile.
This entry was posted in egg retrieval, embryos, hope and love, infertility, invisible illness, positive thinking, reproductive immunology and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to One or two?

  1. cindysn says:

    I hope those 2 make to at least a 3d transfer if not 5d.

  2. amykristin75 says:

    Good luck!!!
    ps. I’m a patient of Dr. Sher 🙂

  3. katherinea12 says:

    Many, many warm thoughts and hopes that those embryos keep growing beautifully and then do what they’re supposed to do.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s