Surgery #7 the beginning

The hospital called me to come in earlier for my surgery on Thursday. It made me nervous. It made me feel excited too. Perhaps if the surgeon is running early, then he has more time to remove my uterus as I asked. My husband and I got there and after I checked in, we sat in the waiting area for about five minutes and I was called in. However, this time was different from all of the other times.
Usually, I get weighed and then we walk to a nice room where I get my own bathroom and a gurney and tv. Not this time! I was sat in a chair as the nurse asked me questions and requested I put on my hospital gown and pee in a cup (that was an insult since without tubes, I can’t get pregnant).
Again, the usual routine is slow. After the nurse asks me questions, there’s a few moments for family time and then the phlebotomist comes in to place my IV catheter and take blood. This time, she was doing so while I was asked a million questions. My parents had just gotten there and I didn’t talk to them yet.
Then the most disturbing thing happened. I had called last week to confirm that Dr.Tribble (my favorite anesthesiologist) was working with Dr. K for surgery that day. But she wasn’t even in the hospital, not on the roster. I started to cry. I explained that if that other guy was there, I would leave. I described him and the nurse said he wasn’t there. There was a different doctor, who’s name escapes me right now. I was trembling. The nurse went back and said she told the anesthesiologist about my concerns and he totally understands and will come talk to me.
My husband and parents came in the room. They were there for about three minutes and they said they were ready to take me back. WHAT!
I kissed my parents and husband goodbye and was quickly wheeled down to the staging area and began to cry. I saw a familiar face back there. The same nurse from that dreadful surgery in September of last year was there and she remembered me too. She gave me tissues and a hug. I told her I was upset Dr. T wasn’t there and she said that her assistant Karen was. So she got her to come out and say hi. At the same time the anesthesiologist came over and said he’d do everything Dr.T did, as long as I respond alright. He was pretty funny actually. Turns out he works with Dr. T and has for the last 14 years. So I went into surgery. I got my versed and Karen started telling me about her Labrador retrievers and I was out!
When I woke up in the recovery area, my mom was there. She told me I still had my uterus. I was so upset I started to cry but it hurt too much. Then I got ice chips and my hubby came and the next thing I knew I was spending the night. I had oxygen and my IV still.

20131221-170927.jpg Then I had to urinate. Oh my god was that painful. I had to use a bedpan. The aids and nurses were not
As friendly as they usually are. They expected me to lift myself up a few hours after surgery. So there I was in pain trying to pee. It would trickle out a little at a time. Then they’d take the pan away and a half hour later I would be in excruciating pain again. Finally after the third try, I asked the nurse to
Just leave it there for a while and it all came out. What a relief. I was practically hyperventilating from the pain. And my friend goes through this every time she has to go. Heartbreaking. They finally came with some ibuprofen for me and said I should have it every four hours, 400mgs, which is 2 advils. I refused the Dilauded because it didn’t help the last two times I had it. Of course no one came in 4 hours later for my next dose and no one checked my vitals until 5am when I asked them to, they let me walk to the bathroom and I felt a little off. My blood pressure was 96 over 68 or something similar. The nurse came in and told me it was perfect. Yeah sure.
By morning I was ready to get out of there. And that’s exactly what I did. The morning nurse checked my vitals, took out my IV and helped me dress. She was so nice.
I’m so happy to be home. I wish I knew exactly what was done during surgery. All I know is I did have endometriosis on my intestines. I’ll know more on Monday.



About our last embryo

I have Endometriosis, Adenomyosis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I've had Lyme, Bell's Palsy and the Shingles before I was 25. I've done IVF twice, with and without immunosuppression and FET. I am married to my best friend and I am Infertile.
This entry was posted in adenomyosis, Endometriosis, endometriosis awareness, excision surgery for endometriosis, hope and love, IBS, infertility, invisible illness, laparoscopy and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Surgery #7 the beginning

  1. addercatter says:

    Wow… sounds like they left you in the dark about a lot. Just remember that doctors work for YOU. And as a patient, you have RIGHTS. Rights that most patients dont even realize they have. You also have the right to know what happened in surgery… i got all the records from my first brain surgery. There must have been almost 200 pages. I was shocked by what I read, much of which was never mentioned to me by my doctor or anyone else.
    I hope you are feeling better… Gentle hugs =^..^=

  2. Casey says:

    Hugs my friend. I am hoping hey were able to remove whatever was causing your stomach pain and diarrhea. Sending you so much love. This is such a hard life to lead. This disease is so terrible. Hoping that every day brings a little relief.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s